Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Norwegian Krumkake Cookies

One of the first Norwegian cookies I made after marrying a Norwegian was Krumkake. The recipe was given to me by his Mom. Krumkake is a waffle cookie made of flour, butter, eggs, sugar, and cardamon. They are traditionally made during the Christmas season but I make them for special occasions and they are always a hit.


You do need a  special decorative two-sided  Krumkake iron ,similar to a waffle iron, to make these delicious cookies. It is well worth the investment...I've had mine for years... I've gone through many heart waffle irons but my krumkake iron takes a lickin and still keeps on ticken!


Krumkake

5 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup melted and cooled margarine ( yes that's what I said trust me!)
1 cup flour
cardamon to taste

In a bowl or 4 cup measuring cup (that's what i use), beat the eggs.

Gradually add the sugar and mix well.

Gradually add the margarine and mix well.

Add the flour slowly then cardamon ( I don't measure mine I go by smell but maybe about 1/2 teaspoon)

Now cover the batter and put it in the fridge for about 1/2 hour.

Plug in and heat up your iron, be careful it doesn't get too hot or your first two krumkake will be burnt...it's happened to me many times. Using a regular old teaspoon from your silverware drawer,spoon batter onto the center of the iron. Close iron, squeezing handles together  to spread the batter. You don't want the batter to squeeze out, but if you put on the right amount it shouldn't happen. You don't want fat Krumkake!


Now if you listen to the directions from your Krumkake iron they tell you to watch the light when it either goes on or off your krumkake are done...I go buy the amount of steam coming out of the iron. When you first close and squeeze the handles together lost of steam come out when it slows down I open up the iron they are usually just right.






Moving quickly take the cookie from the Krumkake iron and roll quickly (while hot) around the Cone Form. I have two since it makes two at a time and invest in wooden cones the plastic ones are the pits!
Start your next two cookies, while they are cooking,(it doesn't take long) pull the first two cookies off the cones and place on paper towels to cool off.



Makes between 5 and 6 dozen krumkake.


When I serve my krumkake I whip up some heavy cream and add Cloudberry Jam or Seedless Raspberry or what ever flavor you like. Chocolate is really great too!
 
Links for Krumkake irons(you really want a non-stick one!): http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?sku=17849727&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=shopping
 
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM5749862403P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM5749862403
 
http://www.lefsestore.com/electrickrumkake.html

No comments: