Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sandkaker A Traditional Norwegian Christmas Cookie

This is my first try at making Sandkaker,a traditionl Norwegian Christmas Cookie. They are like mini tarts and are filled with flavored whipped cream whan ready to be eaten. We always made Cloudberry Cream to fill ours with or you can eat them just as they are!


This recipe is from my mother-in-law...it was one of the cookies she usually made but since she is no longer with us I have to start baking them for my family. To make these cookies you need Sandkaker molds also known as mini-tartlet pans. I'm not sure where mine came from...but I'm sure you can find them somewhere on the net. My mother-in-law had bright shinny ones...mine are non-stick and work great! I had bought them years ago to make mini-tarts...glad I did!


There are six different shapes of tins in my set or sets...not sure if I have more than one set but I do have alot!




SANDKAKER



2 sticks of butter room temperature

1 cup sugar

2 1/2 cups flour

1 egg

1 teaspoon almond extract


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Add egg and almond extract and mix till combined. Add flour gradually ..mix well. Refridgerate dough for about an hour.

Using a small cookie scoop, scoop out a ball of dough.



Press into mold making sure its not too thick on the bottom.



When your molds are filled put them on a cookie sheet and bake from 12-15 minutes. I always turn my cookie sheets 1/2 way through cooking time for more even baking. They should be slightly browned around the edges.



Remove the tins/cookies from the cookie sheet and put them on a cooling rack upside down. Let them cool for about 4 minutes tap bottoms lightly with a knife and cookies should come right out.


If you don't have many molds you will have to wait for the molds you used to compleatly cool before you do the next batch so make sure you have plenty of molds!

Store in an airtight container or put in the freezer till you need them. Makes about 40 cookies.

Links to molds:

Shinny Molds

More shinny molds

Non stick mold set

No comments: