Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Very Flaky Pie Crust









Since it's pie season I figured I'd post my pie crust recipe. This is my regular pie crust that I make in a few batches and freeze so I always have a pie crust when I need it. This is a great recipe and so easy to roll out.
Very Flaky Pie Crust


Makes 4, 9" crusts or 3, 10" crusts.

Ingredients:
4 cups unsifted flour
1 Tlbs sugar
2 tsp salt
Crisco
1 egg

1 Tlbs cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup vodka ( you can use another 1/4 cup water in place of the vodka.)

In a large bowl mix together flour,sugar and salt. Add the Crisco shortening and mix with a pastry blender or 2 forks until crumbly.
In a small bowl mix egg,cider vinegar, water and vodka till combined. Add to flour shortening mixture. Combine till moist. Shape into a large ball.
Divide dough into thirds for 10" pastry. Divide dough into fourths for 8-9" pastry.
Shape each piece into a round disk and wrap individually in wax paper and chill at least 1/2 hour before using.
Dough stays for 3 days in the refrigerator and can be frozen for up to six months. If you are freezing wrap carefully and place in a Ziploc bag.

If a recipe calls for a baked shell roll out pastry place in pie pan , prick all over with a fork and bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. I always use my pie weights(chick peas) when I just have to blind bake a crust. This helps keep the pie shell from shrinking. After your pastry is in the pie pan put in a piece of parchment paper and fill with one bag(out of the plastic) of chick peas. bake for 10 minutes then remove the peas and parchment paper and continue cooking 2-5 more minutes. You can keep the chick peas in a plastic zipper bag and reuse them next time you need to blind bake a pie shell.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: