Monday, July 12, 2010

Blueberry Maple-Mascarpone Tart

This recpie I had photocopied out of a Country Living Magazine while I was at a Doctors office in 2001. It was actually a whole section dedicated to all kinds of blueberry recipies. The recptionist was kind enough to photocopy the whole section for me. Anyway the recpie callls for a 4x10 tart pan. Well let me tell you I could not find a 4x10 tart pan so I ended up with a 4x13. I was worried that the crust would be short or to thin but it was enough to cover the pan and then some. I did have to increase the amount of mascarpone cheese and maple syrup though.  I also added raspberries because I wanted it to be red, white and blue for the Fouth of July. This tart everyone seemed to love  there was only a small piece left over but I don't know if I liked the nutmeg flavoring in the crust. If I make it again I would try maybe caradomn instead.

Ingredients:

Pastery:

1 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour


2 tablespoon(s) sugar

1/2 teaspoon(s) fresh ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon(s) salt

1/2 cup(s) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces

3 tablespoon(s) (up to 5, as needed) cold water
 
Filling:


12 ounce(s) mascarpone cheese

3 tablespoon(s) maple syrup

2 cup(s) fresh blueberries, washed and drained
 
Make the pastry: In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Add butter pluse the blender to incorporate it into the flour until mixture resembles a coarse meal.  Mix in water just until the mixture begins to cling together. Gather into a ball and flatten into a 3- by 5-inch rectangle. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


Blind-bake the crust: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. On a floured surface, roll dough out into a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle at least 7 by 13 inches and transfer it to a 4- by 13-inch tart pan with a removable bottom, leaving about 1/2 inch of dough along the edges. Gently press the dough into sides of tart pan and crimp the edges, if desired. Cut out a rectangle of parchment paper to cover the bottom of the dough and line it with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 10 minutes, remove the weights and paper, and continue to bake until the crust is golden -- about 10 more minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Remove crust from pan and set aside.


Make the filling: In a small bowl, stir together mascarpone cheese and maple syrup until just combined. Use a small spatula to spread the filling into the bottom of the cooled tart shell. Top with blueberries and refrigerate until ready to serve. 

No comments: