Sunday, July 11, 2010

Raspberry-Peach Clafouti

My sister Erin was having her annual July 4th party and I was in charge of bringing desserts. She figured about 20-25 people so I ended up making 5 different desserts. I stick with the standard Norwegian Waffles because everyone loves them especially the kids but after that I wanted to try some recipes that I've had for awhile but haven't had a chance to  make. The first was the Raspberry- Peach Clafouti. I had never made or even tasted a clafouti but the pictures from the recipe made it look really interesting. I believe it was taken from a Martha Stewart magazine but I can't remember when. I've had the recipe at least 3 years. So I gave it a shot...the only problem was I needed a 12 inch round low sided baking dish and  also needed a rectangle tart pan for another dessert I wanted to try,so the hunt was on for these two things.My poor Uncle made the mistake of coming with me on this quest, after going to Bed Bath and Beyond...Target etc I looked at him and told him I thought I had seen one in one of the cooking stores out at the Tanger Outlets. I was off to Riverhead on my quest with poor Uncle Kevin a willing participant. After going to every cooking store I ended up with a 1 inch pan, it seems there is no such thing as a 12 inch round baking dish and the tart pan needed to be 4 inches by 10 inches another thing that doesn't seen to  exist so I need up with a 4x13 inch pan. So after all the craziness now I have to get home and get busy. The Clafouti was easy to make and tasted great because of the size difference in the pan I had some egg mixture left over so I poured it into small baking dishes and added raspberries and blueberries to it. Those we got to eat right after they cooled.

Ingredients:

 1 &1/2 cups white wine


1 1/4 cups sugar

1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise, seeds scraped and reserved

2 pounds firm, ripe peaches (5 to 7), quartered and pitted *

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for dish

6 ounces fresh raspberries

4 large eggs

1/4 teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 cup whole milk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Butter a 12-inch round baking dish; set aside. Bring wine, 1 1/2 cups water, 3/4 cup sugar, and the vanilla bean and seeds to a boil in a large, wide saucepan over high heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Add peaches, cut side down, and cover with a round of parchment paper, placing it directly on top of peaches. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer until peaches are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 30 minutes.




Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Using a slotted spoon, transfer peaches, cut side up, to prepared dish; reserve 1/4 cup poaching liquid (discard the vanilla bean). Arrange raspberries among peaches.

Whisk eggs, remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt in a medium bowl. Gradually whisk in flour. Whisk in milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, orange zest, and reserved poaching liquid. Pour around fruit.


Bake until edges are puffed and golden, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 20 minutes before serving. Clafouti can be refrigerated, covered, up to 1 day.

*The orginal recpie calls for the peaches to be halved but I though quarters would be easier to serve. I also threw in some blueberries just because I had them on hand

No comments: