Sunday, June 20, 2010

Blueberry Surprise Pie

While I was out shopping for Father's Day lobsters I noticed that the blueberries were finally at a reasonable price so I figured why not make a blueberry pie for Father's Day dessert. Then still on a quest for Kris' lobster dinner I ended up buying blackberries and raspberries that were on sale..now thinking about another dessert berry parfaits. I got all the berries home and rinsed off to start making the blueberry pie and berry parfaits. I mixed up the filling for the pie than rolled out the crusts..after I added the filling to the bottom pie shell I decided that I didn't need all the blackberries ad raspberries so I threw some of both berries on top of the blueberry filling... now it was a blueberry surprise pie! We haven't eaten it yet, waiting for company...but it looks good! I can't wait to dig in!

Blueberry Surprise Pie

Ingredients:

Pastry for a 2 crust pie & a 9" pie plate

5 cups blueberries
1 Tlbs. lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. cimmanon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. salt

Blackberries & raspberris if you want to make it a surprise pie

2 Tlbs. butter or margarine

1 Tlbs. milk,1/2 & 1/2 or heavy cream
Sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a large bowl mix blueberries,lemon juice,sugar,flour,cinnamon,nutmeg and salt. I always add a sprinkle of quick tapioca to ensure my pie isn't runny.

Roll out bottom crust, put into pie plate. Roll out top crust. Pour blueberry filling into bottom crust, dot with butter. I you want to make it a surprise pie sprinkle some raspberries and blackberries over the filling. Cover with top crust. Tuck in crust and flute. Brush with 1/2 & 1/2. Sprinkle with sugar then poke holes in the top of pie to vent. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower oven temp to 350 Degrees and cook 45 minutes longer.

Before Baking:
After Baking:

Remove pie from oven. Cool amd serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments: