Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Jam'in Time





Well it's that time of the year again..Jam'in time. This weekend we were out camping on Long Islands north shore and the farm stands are gearing up. Had some great asparagus and sugar snap peas but the best was the strawberries. We went picking at Lewin's Farm and the pickings were easy. My husband and I picked 13 quarts in just under a half hour. I didn't even get a chance to get my first sun burn! But my friend Nancy was very happy I saved her from one of my spring adventures and roped my hubby in instead. So what do you do with 13 quarts of strawberries...make jam! Making home made jams and jellies is a labor of love! I call it my summer therapy. My friends,family and co-workers call it delicious!

I'm not going to post recipes,most you can find in the pectin boxes, but there are some great sites you can check out if your interested in taking up jam making. This site is great for anyone starting out: http://www.pickyourown.org/jam.htm .
I use all different types of pectin but Pamonas is my favorite for making low sugar jams and jellies. Walmart is a great place for canning supplies as are hardware stores.
I give a lot of mine away for Christmas presents,sell some and of course eat it myself. In fact my daughter Elizabeth refused to eat my home made grape jelly. For years I had to buy Welch's for her ,then one day out of desperation she tried my jelly and now I have to make extra to last from season to season!

No comments: