Sunday, March 14, 2010

It's getting to be pie time - Blackberry-Raspberry Pie

Yesterday I had to make a Costco run for the usual..milk,cat litter,food and while I was there I spotted beautiful looking blackberries and raspberries. I couldn't pass them up and the price was right so I bought two packages of each. I figured I make a pie or cobbler with them. The pie won as per my hubby's request so a pie it was. Now I've made blackberry pies and raspberry pies but never a combo pie so I looked around for a recipe on the net. I settled on a recipe from bakingbites.com. It had good reviews and sounded interesting. I did make a few adjustments.The original recipe called for 5 cups of berries total.I used 8 cups for a 9.5" deep pie pan.I also didn't make the crust that went with the recipe because I had my own crust already but next time I will try the Vanilla Double Crust because it sounds interesting.

Blackberry Raspberry Pie


These instructions give baking times for fresh berries. If starting with frozen berries, see notes below.

Filling

4 cups blackberries and 4 cups raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 tbsp cornstarch
A sprinkle of tapioca
1 tbsp butter

Top of Pie
1/8 cup 1/2 & 1/2
Sugar


Vanilla Double Crust

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter, chilled and cut into chunks
1 tsp vanilla extract
approx 3/4 cup cold water


Preheat oven to 400F.

Rinse berries. Put blackberries in large bowl. Add all filling ingredients except for raspberries and butter.Mix well then gently mix in raspberries.
Roll out 1/2 of the pie dough to make the bottom crust of the pie Place bottom crust in pie pan. Roll out top crust.
Pour filling into crust. Dot the filling with the tablespoon butter.Place top crust over berries. Pinch crust together around the edges to seal. With a pastry brush ,brush top crust with 1/2 & 1/2 sprinkle with sugar.This will make the top of the pie shinny and sparkling.With a sharp knife poke vent holes into top crust.

Bake for 15 minutes at 400F. Reduce oven temperature to 375F and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes, until crust is golden all over and filling is bubbly and thick.

Cool completely before slicing to give the filling a chance to thicken. Pie can be reheated, but if it is sliced to soon, filling will be runny.

Serves 8-10.

Note: If starting with frozen berries, follow the directions as written and bake the pie for 15 minutes at 400F. Lower the temperature to 375F and bake for 70-80 minutes (yes, it seems like a long time, don’t worry!) until crust is golden brown all over. If crust is not golden brown all over, even in the center, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until it is (this might mean your berries had been frozen for a while).

The coldness of the frozen berries will prevent the crust from cooking quickly, which is why the extra baking time is needed and why the color of the top crust is a good indication of doneness.

Filling should be thick and bubbly through the vents when crust is completely done. If the edges of your pie start to darken too much, cover just the edges with a piece of foil or a pie shield for the last 15 minutes of baking.


No comments: