Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring Skillet Frittata

Well this morning,being on vacation, I tried my hand at my first frittata. Really very easy to make. My husband and Mom liked it but Alfie wasn't a fan of the feta cheese. But now that I've made one I'm sure more will follow that's how simple they are to do. We'll just try some different combos or types of cheese to see if we can keep Alfie happy. This recipe came from the Pillsbury magazine I picked up in the supermarket with a few adjustments made by me.Also this time I made it with the basil but next time I think I'll try *Fines herbes  instead of the basil.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons oil veggie or olive
6 small red potatoes (12oz. total weight), each cut into thin wedges (approximately 4 - 6 wedges per 1/2 potato) and seasoned with Salt and pepper to taste.
2 cups asparagus tops (8 oz after most of the bottom is removed)
3 tablespoons sliced green onions(scallions)
1 clove garlic, minced ( more if you really like garlic but don't go over board)
6 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
A few shakes of Tabasco sauce
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2oz.)
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil (1/2 tsp if using dried)

Heat oil in a 12 inch non-stick skillet with sloped sides(this makes it easier to remove the frittata when cooked) over medium heat until hot. Add the seasoned potatoes; cover and cook 10 -12 minutes or until almost tender,stirring occasionally.

Add the asparagus,green onion and garlic. Cook 4 - 5 minutes or until asparagus's are almost tender,again stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile beat the eggs in a medium sized bowl  Add the milk,salt,pepper and Tabasco sauce, beat well>

Pour the egg mixture over the veggies in the skillet. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Reduce heat to medium low; cover and cook 12 - 14 minutes or until eggs are set.

To serve cut into wedges. Enjoy!

*Fines herbes is a combination of herbs that forms a mainstay of Mediterranean cuisine. The ingredients of fines herbes are fresh parsley, chives, tarragon and chervil.


No comments: