Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spring Brunch- Ham and Broccoli Strata

Nancy K this is for you. I wanted to have this for Saturday breakfast but unfortunately I didn't get to the grocery store Friday night. It was cold out and once I get settled in my nice warm house I hate to go back out. Thank god the warm weather is on its way back. But I do digress.. Nancy, the reason I'm posting this early is you need to make this the day before then you pull it out of the fridge and bake it the next morning. I've never made a strata before but this recipe was on the cover of a Pillsbury Spring Brunch magazine and it really caught my eye. Good photo but as they say the proof is in the pudding..so I will put this together tonight cook it tomorrow and let everyone know if it tastes as good as the photo looked or as we say in my house is it a keeper or not.

****Well the results are in Alfie gives it 2 thumbs up and Kris Gives it one. I have to agree with Kris. This needs a bit more salt, and a bit more pizazz.Next time I'll play with the spices maybe a bit of red pepper ,and a bit more onion but it is a keeper. Just a few other notes, I had to cook this about 15 minutes longer than stated.I don't know if this was due to the fact that I cooked it in a ceramic dish vs a glass dish. Also this feeds more than 8 ,next time if I am making it just for my family I will cut the recipe in half and cook it in an 8x8 dish.

Ham and Broccoli Strata

Prep Time: 25 Min
Total Time: 5 Hr 20 Min
Makes: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS :


2 teaspoons olive or veggie oil
1 medium red bell pepper,chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon pepper
16 oz. cooked cubed ham
2 cups Green Giant Select® Frozen 100% Broccoli Florets, thawed ( or use fresh blanched)
8 cups cubed(3/4 in.) rustic round bread (about 1 lb)
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (12 oz)
8 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. salt

In a 10 inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion and garlic ;cook about 4 minutes,stirring occasionally,until tender. Stir in pepper.

Spray 13 x 9 inch ( 3 quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange 4 cups of the bread cubes in dish. Evenly layer ham, broccoli and 2 cups of the cheddar cheese over the bread. Top with remaining bread cubes, bell pepper mixture and remaining 1 cup of cheese.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, mustard and salt with whisk until blended. Poor evenly over bread, veggies and cheese. Press bread down gently. Cover tightly with foil sprayed lightly with cooking spray. Refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours. Over night is best.

Heat oven to 350. Bake covered 30 minutes. Uncover, bake 20 -30 minutes longer or until top is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: