Friday, April 2, 2010

Caramel Pecan Brownies

Well my son was bothering me for brownies again and I figured this time I would just make the brownie mix and add the caramel chips instead of making the other caramel brownie recipe. So I go and get the chips and brownie mix from the shelf and low and behold there on the bag of caramel bits is a recipe for Caramel Pecan Brownies. So of course I have to try it. Now I do a lot of baking but when it comes to brownies as far as I'm concerned nothing and I mean nothing beats Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix. When it goes on sale I stock up on boxes, the lady at the grocery store thinks I'm a bit crazy but I told her to  try them. Anyway, these brownies while not as pretty as the first post were to die for and so simple. I had to leave out the pecans because Alfie is not fond of them but next time they are going in. We had them for dessert after the crab cakes.

Caramel Pecan Brownies

1 box Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix













1 package Kraft Carmel Bits



1/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup chopped up pecans
Optional: 1 cup pecan halves for the top of brownies

Per-heat oven to 350.Line a 13 x 9 inch pan with foil, having the foil extending over the ends of the pan.(This helps you lift the brownies out when they are done.) Generously grease foil.


Prepare brownie mix as directed on the back of the box. Spread 1/2 of the batter in the pan. Bake 20 minutes.

While that is baking , put the caramel chips and heavy cream into  a  medium sized microwavable bowl.. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or until caramel bits begin to melt.; stir till completely melted. Mix in the 1 cup of chopped pecans.

Spread this over the partially baked brownie mix when it comes out of the oven. Top with remaining batter.Some caramel may peek through the batter. If desired place 1 cup pecan halves on top of batter.

Bake an additional 20 -25 minutes or until top is firm to  the touch.

Cool. Use the foil handles to lift the brownies out of the pan. Cut and serve. If there are any left over they can be stored in a covered container at room temperature.


No comments: