Monday, April 26, 2010

Norwegian Heart Waffles

This past Sunday was the Children's Scandinavian Heritage Fair in St.James and I was asked to make waffles!Now these are not breakfast waffles,well you could really eat them any time,but they are dessert waffles...and they are delicious!I got this recipe from my mother- in-law many years ago and they are a staple in our house and always requested when we go to visit anyone. When my kids were small if I was making waffles in the summer,windows open, I would have half the neighborhood kids at my door waiting for waffles. Now the only problem I faced when asked to make the waffles was my waffle iron had died last month and I had yet to replace it. Torun, a fellow Son's of Norway member, was kind enough to lend me her iron but I was not thrilled with it.I definitely will not be buying that brand, but it served it's purpose and the waffles got made. When i put the waffles out ,I always serve then with an assortment of homemade jams and jellies and softened whipped butter,but they taste great just the way they are! Any way you want this is a treat not to be missed!

Norwegian Heart Waffles

Ingredients:

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 pint sour cream
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter melted
1 tsp. vanilla

Optional:
Cardamon to taste

In a medium bowl or 4 cup glass or plastic measuring cup. mix together, with a electric hand mixer, the eggs,sugar and sour cream (I always add a bit more sour cream) until blended.

Next add the flour and baking powder,blend well. Then add the butter and vanilla. Mix. Last is the cardamon I always add this to my waffles. I just sprinkle it in till it smells good around 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon.


When the batter is done heat up the waffle iron. This is the tricky part. All waffle irons are different. With my old iron I put it on a 1 to 2 setting and the waffles cooked perfectly. On the iron I borrowed I had to put it all the way up to  6. You'll have to play with the first batch or two to get a feel for your iron.

Put in between 1/4 to 1/3 cup of batter per batch of waffles. Again this you will have to feel out.

Serve on a platter with whipped butter and an assortment of jellies to spread on. Enjoy and don't expect any leftovers!

No comments: