Sunday, April 4, 2010

Fresh Pea and Mint Soup

When I was at my sisters the other day, dropping something off she had her April issue of bon appetit on the table open to the recipe for grilled leg of lamb she was making for Easter. Right next to it was a recipe for fresh pea soup. It sounded interesting, I always wanted to make fresh pea soup hoping I might like it because I don't like split pea soup. This soup looked light and refreshing so I gave it a go and guess what it was good, I would make this again. When I made it I used the frozen peas because I didn't feel like shelling peas. Next time I serve it I think I would include a dollop of sour cream in the middle. This soup was served at my sisters today for Easter.

Fresh Pea and Mint Soup  (from the April issue of bon appetit)

Ingredients:


2 tablespoons olive oil
1 2/3 cups chopped shallots (about 6 very large)
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 cups shelled fresh peas (from about 5 pounds peas in pods) or two 16-ounce bags frozen petite peas, unthawed
5 1/2 cups (or more) chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint plus additional for garnish

Preparation:

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic. Sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.

Add peas and stir 1 minute. Add 51/2 cups broth and bring to simmer. Cook until peas are very tender, about 8 minutes.

Cool 15 minutes.

Puree soup and 1/4 cup chopped mint in batches in blender until smooth.

DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill.

Rewarm soup over medium-low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; garnish with additional mint.


No comments: